Our students are well presented, display good manners and demonstrate courtesy and respect to others. We work hard to develop their aspiration and ambition through a growth mind-set philosophy we call Learn to Achieve.
The Department of Education believes school uniform “can play a valuable role in contributing to the ethos of a school and setting an appropriate tone.”
The Hetton School governors and school leaders agree and believe that maintaining this standard sets a tone that transfers to the positive Mindset of students when they are learning, and so it is crucial that expectations and standards remain at the highest level.
Our aim is to ensure that the Hetton School uniform is affordable and available from suppliers who have been chosen for their high levels of quality whilst ensuring value for money for parents and carers of our students.
We would therefore like to confirm that school uniform items can be purchased from The School Outfit and PE kit is now available from Avec Sport. All items are available online from both suppliers’ websites.
As a school, we feel that we have catered for the needs of our school community and negotiated cost savings with the suppliers which are being passed on to parents/carers.
Schoolwear Associate Research 2020 indicates that the cost of the compulsory school uniform and sportswear items in the UK is £101.19 per pupil. On average, the ‘per pupil spend’ of compulsory items by Hetton students was £36.24 per year (not all items need to be replaced annually). For the items deemed compulsory, we are the most cost-effective school in Sunderland, and we fall into the top 25% of schools in the UK for cheapest compulsory items (at the new May 2021 prices).
The minimum compulsory items that must be purchased from our preferred suppliers are:
Main School School Uniform
- A School badge for blazer £4
- A School Tie £4
All other items can be purchased elsewhere but they must meet the school uniform expectations, which is why all uniform items are available to purchase from The School Outfit to make buying a student’s school uniform as simple and cost effective as possible. As well as buying online, parents can also visit the shops as shown in the image below
The minimum compulsory items that must be purchased from our preferred suppliers Avec Sports are:
- P.E. T-Shirt £9.00 – £11.00
- P.E. Shorts £5.60 – £7.50 or P.E. Tracksuit bottoms £13.90 – £19.95
Additional items can be purchased from Avec Sports at your discretion but the above reflects the minimum expectations and additional items purchased must be from the Hetton School approved range only as they will have the school logo embroidered on all items.
If you require help with the cost of school clothing in cases of financial hardship, please contact the school
School uniform (worn on days that students do not have practical PE)
- A black blazer with school badge
- A clip-on school tie
- Optional royal blue V-neck jumper for Years 7-9 or black V-neck jumper for Years 10 & 11
- A white or pale blue shirt
- Black school trousers (no leggings or skinny style) or a black school skirt, worn with black tights
- A wristwatch and one plain type ring may be worn.
- Earrings are not suitable for school but students with pierced ears are permitted to wear one pair of stud type earrings only in the lobe. No other piercings are permitted.
- No other jewellery should be worn.
- No extreme hairstyles/hair colours are permitted and excessively applied make-up is unacceptable. Nail extensions/false nails and nail varnish of any kind is not permitted.
- Scarfs can be worn to and from school but like outdoor coats they must be removed in the school building.
- All black shoes – Shoes should be all black leather (or leather look), should be able to be polished and have no accessories or logos on them. Below, you can see examples of school shoes that would or would not be deemed suitable.
PE uniform (worn on days that students have a practical PE lesson)
Students should continue to arrive to school in their full correct PE kit on the days they have practical PE lessons. As a reminder, this is:
- Hetton School PE top from AVEC Sport
- Hetton School PE shorts or Hetton School PE Tracksuit bottoms from AVEC Sport
- Navy blue socks
- Training shoes
- Football boots are optional
- On wet days it is recommended that students bring a change of footwear and also a waterproof jacket
- All other optional items MUST be Hetton School PE kit purchased from AVEC Sport
During lessons, students are required to use different colour pens for Blue Zone, peer assessment and for showing progress in their work. Having these items allows for the smooth running of lessons and no lesson time is wasted as students are ready to learn. In the current situation it is even more important than ever that students bring their own equipment to school.
We ask that all students have the following:
- Pencil case (with no inappropriate or offensive logos or messages)
- Black pen
- Blue pen
- Green pen
- Purple pen
- Glue stick
- Calculator – A Casio fx-83GT X is the recommended model
Items will be available to buy from school at a reduced cost. A fully equipped pencil case (excluding calculator) will be available for £3.00 via School Gateway as well as individual items if students need any replacements.